Oh look, a trailer to watch!
So this review was originally published on my old blog site back on May 3rd, 2009. I used to write some reviews here and there for fun and thought “why don’t I just pull those over here and share them with everyone!” BRILLIANT! So let’s take a trip to a much simpler time back in 2009 when I had two less kids and my dad was still alive. I’ll add some commentary in italics.
I’m not going to do a full on review of this movie, not because it doesn’t deserve it but because it’s 12:30am and I need to get to bed soon.
I went to see this movie with my wife, eldest son(this kid is 15 now, holy crap), mom, dad, my sister and my nephew. I told myself when I went into see the movie I would go in with an open mind. I KNEW this was not going to like the ‘Origins’ comic but I KNEW it would be fun. To be honest I was mostly looking forward to seeing Ryan Reynolds as Dead Pool. (Oh if I only knew what was going to happen with this character)
I should point out before I get into to much detail that I enjoyed the movie. (still stand by this) I thought it was fun, entertaining and all around a good time. I’m going to highlight the things I liked then what I didn’t in a handy dandy list.
- I REALLY enjoyed Ryan Reynolds as Dead Pool and would LOVE to see him carry a solos Dead Pool movie. (He, guess what 2009 me, HE DOES! And it’s even BETTER! Also, I meant I liked him BEFORE they bastardized him at the end)
- Hugh Jackman was awesome as always.
- Liev Schreiber surprised me and put out a solid Sabretooh erm…Victor (I still wish he would have come back to this role in Logan)
- The war montage over the opening credits. FOR THE WIN! (yeah, that scene is still one of my favorites)
Here’s what I DID NOT like:
- The Blob. Freakin’ stupid in this movie. Makes no sense. Kevin Durand did a bad job, just dumb for this movie. (I no longer agree with this, Kevin did fine, I have no issue with this guy)
- Since when is Will.I.Am an actor? Isn’t he responsible for the ‘My Humps‘ song? WTF? (I just hate the Black Eyed Peas, but he did fine)
- The special effects seemed lacking. The claws at some points seemed to change length. (yup)
- The opening sequence. The kid who played young Logan needs acting lessons. He must be the directors kid. (apparently he’s a YouTuber now)
- The War Montage over the opening credits, I wanted MORE. (The only negative is I wanted MORE)
- What the HELL is Scott Summers doing in this? Further Moore, the White Queen?
- When the hell does this movie take place? And didn’t Logan say int he first X-Men that he woke up in the frozen wastelands of Canada? Not on an island with Gambit? (We all know X-Men time lines make no sense, let’s move on)
I think that’s all the picking into this movie I really want to do. I could go on and on and on, but overall I did enjoy it. It’s a fun action movie with Wolverine tearin’ shit up. They try to shove way to many cameos into it, which hurts the film. Dead Pool should have been used more and used better. I pray they let Ryan Reynolds carry a movie and do it right. (Prayers got answered!)
End vertict? Hugh Jackman remains the man. If you have extra cash, see it. If not wait for DVD/Blu-Ray.
So there you go, my 2009 review of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I know this movie has received a TON of hate over the years, especially with how it handled Deadpool, but you know if it wasn’t for this movie we probably never would have gotten the Deadpool movies. It’s not an amazing movie, and it get’s a lot of things wrong. If you just let go anything you already know about the comics, and just want to watch it for a fun mutant ride with action it’s pretty decent. I’ve watched it many times over the years. Not my favorite Wolverine movie (and let’s be fair, ALL X-Men movies except First Class and Apocalypse are Wolverine movies) but not the worst either.